Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hola! 
Today was more of the same, we went to Spanish school and again to the orphanage (Casa Hogar). At Casa Hogar we continued to play with the kids, sort through clothes, prep  a wall for a mural we will be painting, had a beauty station, and taught them shapes. It was upsetting to see some of the children whose chicken pox had spread (one girl's chicken pox progressed internally).  We left the orphanage earlier to go to the zolcolo (the center of town) to see a traditional dance performance.  After we were through we had the opportunity to walk around and go shopping. We then met up to have dinner, which was tacos al pastor (tacos with barbeque pork and pineapple). After a long day we walked back to our home stays and retired for the evening. 
You'll hear more again soon! Hope everyone is doing ok at home.
Hasta Luego!
Laura, Kayla, Nicole, and Mary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi to everyone! I think of you many times a day. I know you are working hard....but what you are doing is SO important, and will leave all of you with many lifetime memories.
I feel pain for the poor little girl with internal Chicken Pox. I had that as an adult and was out of my mind with discomfort. I could only drink using a straw..eating other than cool liquids was not an option. Milk shakes were a staple.
I am leaving for Florida today. It is predicted to be 98 to 100 degrees for the five days I will be there, and is predicted to be VERY cool and rainy in Hartford. I bet the weather there is the best option. Love to all of you. Be safe and smart!

MOM STEPHAN

Ms OB said...

Tacos con cerdo y pina- very Top Chef sounding!! I too suffered from chicken pox in my throat- drinking orange juice was a big mistake!! Glad to hear you hung out at the zolcolo!!